Migrating data from IBM DB2 to SQL Server
The ESF Database Migration Toolkit is a robust and efficient solution for migrating data between various database formats, including IBM DB2 and SQL Server.
This guide will show you how to easily migrate data from IBM DB2 to SQL Server through a few simple steps of a wizard, streamlining complex migration processes and saving you valuable time.
|64-bit Windows application for ESF Database Migration Toolkit 11.2.04 (2023-09-04).
|32-bit Windows application for ESF Database Migration Toolkit 11.2.04 (2023-09-04).
- Windows 7 or higher.
- IBM DB2 9.x or higher.
- SQL Server 6.5 or higher.
1. In "Choose a Data Source" dialog, choose "IBM DB2";
- Enter the server name (default: localhost) and port (default: 50000).
- Enter the username (default is "db2admin") and its associated password.
- From the "Database" combobox, enter the source IBM DB2 database name.
- Choose an existing DB2 schema name by refreshing the list of all available schemas.
2. In "Choose a Destination" dialog, choose "Microsoft SQL Server";
- Input the SQL Server host name (you can also add an instance name). e.g: localhost\sqlexpress.
- If using TCP/IP method then input the server port (default is 0 and using pipe method), in addition, you need to provide a username(e.g: sa) and password.
- Check the "Windows Authentication" checkbox if using Windows authentication.
- Press the "Refresh Database" button to list all databases. You can either select an existing database or enter a new database name. This toolkit will automatically create the new database during the migration process.
- Press the "Refresh Schema" button to list all schemas. You can select an existing schema or enter a new schema name. This toolkit will automatically create the new schema during the migration process. If you leave it empty, the default is "dbo".
3.In "Select source Tables(s) & View(s)" dialog;
- Select the tables or views you want to migrate.
- You can access the table options or adjust the table structure by clicking the "..." button.
- In the "Field Mapping" option, you can customize the destination table's fields, such as field name, data type, default value, comment, and more. You also have the option to choose the data transfer method, including Overwrite Table, Empty Data, Append Data, or Skip Table, or even filter the data before transferring it.
4. In "Execution" Dialog;
- You can start the migration process by clicking "Submit". The toolkit will efficiently and seamlessly migrate your data from IBM DB2 to SQL Server without the need for manual intervention.
- To keep track of the migration process, you can access the full migration log by clicking "Browse Log". This will provide you with a comprehensive view of the entire migration, including any potential issues and their resolutions.
- To save time in the future, you can save the migration settings as a job file by clicking "Save as job". This allows you to quickly reload the migration job at a later time or run the migration job using the command-prompt by typing "dmtc.exe --help". The command-prompt provides you with a full list of parameters to customize the migration process to your specific needs.
Upon completion, the toolkit will generate a comprehensive migration report, providing you with all the information you need to verify the accuracy and completeness of the migration process. So, you can sit back and relax while the program carries out the task efficiently. Should you have any inquiries or recommendations, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're always happy to help.
Download Now »