Migrating data from Oracle to PostgreSQL
The ESF Database Migration Toolkit is a robust and efficient solution for migrating data between various database formats, including Oracle and PostgreSQL.
This guide will show you how to easily migrate data from Oracle to PostgreSQL through a few simple steps of a wizard, streamlining complex migration processes and saving you valuable time.
|64-bit Windows application for ESF Database Migration Toolkit 11.1.19 (2023-03-29).
|32-bit Windows application for ESF Database Migration Toolkit 11.1.19 (2023-03-29).
- Windows 7 or higher.
- Oracle 11g or higher.
- PostgreSQL 7.x or higher.
1. In "Choose a Data Source" dialog, choose "Oracle";
- Enter the server name (default: localhost) and port (default: 1521).
- Enter the username (default: "system") and its password.
- Choose the logon method (SID, Service_Name or TNS).
- Enter the Oracle SID or Service_Name in the "Database" field or leave it empty if you're using TNS method.
- Enter the schema name or leave it empty (default is the same as the username). You can press the "Refresh" button to view a list of all schemas.
2. In "Choose a Destination" dialog, choose "PostgreSQL";
- Input the server name (default: localhost) and port (default: 5432).
- Input the username (default is "postgres") and its password.
- Select the target database character set (default is "UTF8"), it's important if the data contains non-ASCII characters e.g. German, French, Japanese.
- Press "Refresh Database" button to list all databases, you can choose an existing database or enter a new database name, the toolkit will automatically create the new database during the migration process.
- Input/select the target PostgreSQL schema name (default is "public"), or press "Refresh Schema" button to list all schemas.
3.In "Select source Tables(s) & View(s)" dialog;
- Select the tables or views you want to migrate.
- You can access the table options or adjust the table structure by clicking the "..." button.
- In the "Field Mapping" option, you can customize the destination table's fields, such as field name, data type, default value, comment, and more. You also have the option to choose the data transfer method, including Overwrite Table, Empty Data, Append Data, or Skip Table, or even filter the data before transferring it.
4. In "Execution" Dialog;
- You can start the migration process by clicking "Submit". The toolkit will efficiently and seamlessly migrate your data from Oracle to PostgreSQL without the need for manual intervention.
- To keep track of the migration process, you can access the full migration log by clicking "Browse Log". This will provide you with a comprehensive view of the entire migration, including any potential issues and their resolutions.
- To save time in the future, you can save the migration settings as a job file by clicking "Save as job". This allows you to quickly reload the migration job at a later time or run the migration job using the command-prompt by typing "dmtc.exe --help". The command-prompt provides you with a full list of parameters to customize the migration process to your specific needs.
Upon completion, the toolkit will generate a comprehensive migration report, providing you with all the information you need to verify the accuracy and completeness of the migration process. So, you can sit back and relax while the program carries out the task efficiently. Should you have any inquiries or recommendations, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're always happy to help.
Download Now »