Migrating data from SQL Azure to PostgreSQL
This article describes how to quickly migrate data from SQL Azure to PostgreSQL by ESF Database Migration Toolkit! Help you complete complex database migration tasks and save a lot of time!
ESF Database Migration Toolkit is a powerful and high performance toolkit that can migrate data across various database formats, such as SQL Azure, PostgreSQL and so.
- Windows 7 or higher.
- SQL Azure.
- PostgreSQL 7.x or higher.
1. In "Choose a Data Source" dialog, choose "SQL Azure";
- You need to "Allow access to Azure services" in "Firewalls and virtual networks" page of the Azure server, and add your client IP to rules list.
- Input the SQL Azure server name (e.g.: esf.database.windows.net).
- Input the server port (e.g.: 1433).
- Input the username and password.
- Press "Refresh Database" button to list all databases, then choose an existing database.
- Press "Refresh Schema" button to list all schemas, then choose an existing schema.
2. In "Choose a Destination" dialog, choose "PostgreSQL";
- Input the server name (default: localhost) and port (default: 5432).
- Input the username (default is "postgres") and its password.
- Select the target database character set (default is "UTF8"), it is very important if the data containts Non-Ascii characters e.g. German, French, Japanese.
- Press "Refresh Database" button to list all databases, you can choose an existing database or enter a new database name, this toolkit automatically create the new database during the migration process.
- Input/select the target PostgreSQL schema name (default is "public"), or press "Refresh Schema" button to list all schemas.
3. In "Select source Tables(s) & View(s)" dialog;
- Select the tables/views which will be migrated.
- Click "..." to set the table options or remap the table structure.
- You can set the data transfer method (Overwrite Table/Empty Data/Append Data/Skip Table) or filter the data before transferring.
- Choose "Field Mapping" option, you can redefine the fields in the destination table, e.g.: field name, data type, default value, comment and also.
4. In "Execution" Dialog;
- Click "Submit" to begin the migration, this toolkit will help you quickly migrate data from SQL Azure to PostgreSQL without intervention.
- Click "Browse Log" to visit the full migration log.
- Click "Save as job" to save the migration settings to a job file, so you can "Load Job" to quickly reload the migration job in the future or run the migration job via command-prompt. Run "esf-cmd --help" in command-prompt to get the full command parameters.
The program will complete the migration as quickly as possible and generate a migration report to you. All you have to do is sit and wait.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact us.
Download Now »